Backyard Farm Fair
Saturday, May 30th, 11:00am-2:00pm at the SE side Frogtown Park & Farm off of Victoria & Lafond Aves.
Come on down to our backyard to learn what the possibilities are for your own growing space. We have collected resources and ideas for you in a fun, entertaining event that is all about backyards & food. You’ll get to ask questions, try your hand at new skills and connect to resources for your own yard. Between these activities you can enjoy music, food and fun. What new food growing technique will you adopt this year?
A peek at the ‘Backyard Farm Fair’ activities and demonstrations:
- Bee keeping with Pollinate Minnesota
- Chicken keeping with Egg|Plant Urban Farm Store
- Hoop house, raised bed, sack & container gardening resources with Page & Flowers, U of MN Master Gardeners and Urban Farm and Garden Alliance
- Composting with Eureka Recycling
- Pollinator and tree resources from Frogtown Greening and the Tree Frogs
- Mushroom cultivation with University of Minnesota Mycology Club
- The Pallet Parklet from the Friendly Streets Initiative
- Edible backyard weeds with The Natural Path to Health
- Get your soil tested onsite! A mobile soil testing lab will be available for residents. Bring a dry, composite sample from your prospective garden space in an open ziploc bag, and faculty and students from the UMN Dept. of Soil, Water and Climate will analyze the sample for metals and nutrients using portable X-ray fluorescence (pXRF) equipment. For further soil sampling details see this article here.
Between these activities participants can enjoy bluegrass music, plant giveaways, activities, and potluck snacks provided by friends of Frogtown Farm, including pizza from the debut firing of Frogtown Farm’s ‘Mobile Pizza Picnic’. The Mobile Pizza Picnic is made possible with support from the ‘Knight Green Line Challenge’ and is a wood fired pizza oven built to fuel conversations throughout Frogtown.
Categorised in: News
This post was written by ffarm